Welcome
Welcome to sconezone

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Float pattern for F1's in cooler water

General Chat on all things float related

Float pattern for F1's in cooler water

Postby lowie » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:40 am

Just curious what float and shotting patterns people use for F1's on the deck in cooler water?

I fish a venue with an average depth of 6 foot and looking to catch on maggot/spanders.
lowie

Re: Float pattern for F1's in cooler water

Postby Scone » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:37 am

Hi Lowie...nice to see you posting mate..!

Simple answer HAS to be a Munkeez...it's a wire so it "fishes" quicker; has a nice, thick-ish (1.5mm) hi-glo bristle which is very easy to shot and is built traditionally from balsa. It's plenty strong enough for F1 bashing and provides a nice, stable set-up.

My shotting patterns for wires in the winter are kep very simple...a bulk and two or three droppers. The bulk should be about 3/4's of the floats total loading and I'd typically place this 2 feet from the hook...the droppers (numbers 10's are spot on for the bristle on this pattern) are then equally spaced with the bottom one placed against the hooklength loop. (I use 6 inch hooklengths generally)

It's a shotting pattern which can be altered very easily if you find you want more positive bites (F1's are notorious for only showing little "dinks")...just slide the droppers together to form a small bulk above the hooklength loop.

If the fish become especially finicky, try spreading half your bulk out in the bottom 2 foot of the rig, shirt-button-style...lifting and dropping don't work well with this style of shotting though. You find you'll get lots of tangles if you don't lay the rig in with a stretched-out line..!

Hope that helps.
"I was nearly sick then...!"
Scone
Site Admin

Postby Milo99 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:50 am

Sorry to jump in and steer off course, but I'm new to F1 fishing, can you give me some idea of feeding regime? I like to trickle softened 4mm and fish a 4mm xpander, is that ok or are micros more effective for the little critters?
Amy, and all info very welcome
Milo99

Postby Scone » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:24 am

Crikes....you don't want much do you (take months to write down what I know about NOT being able to catch F1's..!!)

As a start, I'd tend to leave out the softened 4mm's unless they were proper having-it...soak up some micro's and squeeze into tiny balls. Feed these through a tosspot to be sure of accuracy. Fish a 4mm expander on the hook (Sensas 4mm's are the nuttz).

Worm and caster are great F1 baits during the warmer months but I only use it between May and September as it's a high-feed job...
"I was nearly sick then...!"
Scone
Site Admin

Return to General Floats